13 Jan 2015

So when am I supposed to 'grow up'?




Something funny must be in the water in my hometown, because one of my best friends has bought a house, the other one plans to in ‘the next few months’ and countless acquaintances have done the above – and gotten hitched just to top it off.

Move more than a few miles south and there’s me – still paying through the roof for a bedroom in a house with two strangers I don’t quite know well enough to be comfortable hearing their every move through a paper-thin wall. Despite having a professional sounding job title – I still have to borrow from the bank of Mum and Dad each time my phone bill comes through, and the only thing I use my ISA for is for temporarily storing cash before I pay off my Topshop card.

And it’s not just me. I talk to any of my ‘daaan sawwff’ friends, and they’re just as clueless. We scoff at the term ‘five year plan’ over overpriced chardonnay and then move on to the latest Tinder hookup.

So what’s the big difference between those friends outside of London and me down here in the big smoke? We’re all of the same age, have been with our significant others around the same amount of time; all have proper ‘grown up’ jobs. Is it literally just location?

Sure, it’s cheaper to live outside of the capital, but that still doesn’t stop me blowing what savings I do have on a trip to Ibiza instead keeping it for a down payment on a house, or ‘gulp’ eventual wedding planning. Those aspects feel like they’re for the real ‘adults’ of the world, and despite next year turning the big 2 5 , it still feels like a lifetime away for me.

The way I see it is this. London has always beckoned the creative, the actor, the writer, the artist, the musician. Once you are bored of London, you are bored of Life, as the saying goes. Carpe Diem, live in the moment. Blow your pay check on cocktails at that trendy new opening in Shoreditch. As Londoners we have to explore this city at every nook and cranny – we’ve got the rest of our lives to worry about growing up.

DON'T FORGET, YOU CAN FOLLOW ME ON



SHARE:

4 comments

  1. I loved reading this post! I'm hopefully going to be a Londoner in around 9 months, and this post summed up why I want to move there. I love the Londoner attitude :)

    Seren x
    Terrible Thrills

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree completely. I'm 19 and I know people moving in together, having kids and getting married and it makes me feel guilty! Then I'm like, why?! I have my whole life to grow up and do sensible things, your 20's are about living a little before you have to start taking on responsibility!

    sheepishlyshameful.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this post, I am in exactly the same boat (although I don't live in London!) I have seen a lot of my friends getting engaged and having kids, I don't feel like I'm anywhere near that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this post, I am in exactly the same boat (although I don't live in London!) I have seen a lot of my friends getting engaged and having kids, I don't feel like I'm anywhere near that!

    ReplyDelete

© The Pretrender | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig