18 Dec 2013

Going Exclusive


Skirt & Top: River Island
Necklace: Miss Selfridge

A few weeks ago, after many days of deliberating and three trips in store to “try it on”, I finally committed to the pink leather skirt I’d been dreaming about for months.
It was great, a perfect fit, I could dress it up or down, it was THE statement piece my wardrobe had been missing. Things went swimmingly, till I saw someone else wearing it on the street.

And it didn’t stop there. I saw pink PVC pencil’s in bars, on the tube, even in the supermarket. It was in shop displays and in the pages of every magazine I opened.  And every time I saw the shiny pastel material, my heart sunk a little more.

It never feels nice to see your new favourite item with somebody else, or even looking for someone else through the glass windows of Oxford Street. I get so used to the idea of something being mine, I forget the cold harsh truth. Products of the high street don’t want to be tied down to just one girl.
In my annoyance I thrust the skirt to the back of my wardrobe. I wasn’t ready to give up on it yet, but something had to be done.

Making something your own in the ever changing world of fashion is a hard task. With each season comes the coveted “must have” pieces that every blogger, editor and stylist wants to get their hands on. Vintage shopping is an option, but if you’re like me and you have a very specific ‘type’ of item in mind, it can be harder than finding Chanel in a charity shop.

My solution was to sigh, accept the inevitable, and dig out the pink leather, vowing to rock it in my own way, and not let its adulterous ways bother me.  Comeuppance will come next season, when everyone has moved on to the next big thing, it’ll be begging me to wear it out. And the pushover that I am, I probably will.

Don't forget, you can follow me on
Twitter | GFC | Bloglovin' 
SHARE:

1 comment

© The Pretrender | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig