21 Jan 2013

Why I can't dress for cold weather.




My what lovely weather we're having! I kid, of course. It's freaking freezing. Here's something everyone knows about me - I hate cold weather! As soon as autumn is over I'm full of despair as I know for the next few months I'm going to be bundled up into as many layers as humanly possible and looking like the abominable snowman.

It's not that I can't handle the cold, I can, it's just that for some unknown reason, as soon as I have to bundle up, all my fashion sense goes out the window. I have no day to day clothes suitable for this type of weather, because, when I buy clothes, the last thing on my mind is: "are they practical?". I have bundles of lovely shorts, tee-shirts and skirts, yet only one or two jumpers and cardigans.

Take today for instance, I woke up, decided that I would wear my new favourite floral pants, with a shirt and a jumper over the top, with my leather jacket. Fashionable yet warm, right? Wrong. As soon as I stepped outside I could feel the icicles forming on my head so I had to stick a hat on my head. My neon pink patterned bobble hat that I do love in way, but it looks like something Mrs. Weasley knitted.

I then put on my scarf because my nose was so cold I was starting to look like Rudolph, and I've never been the sort of person to have a matching set of anything - case in point, I have snowmen on one of my socks and the other is a lovely shade of maroon - so the only scarves I have do not go with aforementioned neon pink Weasley hat.

So there I go, trudging down the street, looking a little less fashionable than I would without the scarf and hat . However, after a trip into uni I walked into town with a friend for lunch, and by this time I was starting to realise that cropped trousers and ankle boots were not a good mix. My socks were slipping halfway down my feet and my ankles felt like I'd been soaking them in an ice bucket. Something had to be done, dear readers, and I almost don't want to tell you what happened next.

I had to get a pair of cheap ugg style boots.

Evil, evil shoes.

I hate these style of shoes with a passion. I think they look like slippers, I think they instantly make any outfit look like something Vicky Pollard would wear, and I think they all need to be shipped off to the nearest rubbish tip.

But, oh my lord, are they comfy.

I hate myself for it, but I needed something to keep my feet warm, and my little ankle boots weren't cutting it.  And they are so cosy, my feet felt like they were curled up in front of the fire with a good book. I'm dancing with the devil in fake sheepskin, and I'm afraid that I like it.

So now, my lovely outfit had been transformed, and I looked like an eskimo. And, never wear printed  trousers with boots that look like slippers, because they will make you look like you are wearing pjyamas.  I walked by someone I knew, and the first thing she said to me was: "Well don't you look....warm!" And so, I am unable to dress well in cold weather.


But goddammit, I was as snug as a bug in a rug.

SHARE:

6 comments

  1. Hiyaa, I have nominated you for the Liebster Award. Come check it out on my blog and take part :)

    Carly xx

    http://glittersecrets.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much I'm very flattered! I will try to get round to doing a post on that very soon!

      Delete
  2. Tee hee, I enjoyed this post, I can identify! All too often I have worn leggings underneath football shorts around the house. Why??? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, oh I don't even bother getting out of my pjs some days if I'm round the house, such a fashion no-no!

      Delete
  3. I have the exact opposite problem--I hate dressing for warm/hot weather. I feel super fashionable in the Winter and Fall and resort to a mess of this-is-the-only-shirt-that-isn't-skin-tight-a-belly-shirt-or-super-low-cut that they had at the store. I envy the people who wear warm weather well!

    Best,
    Rachel
    www.thecuratorial.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, I think I just have a problem with layering! I end up just being so cold that I throw on whatever looks the warmest - usually my boyfriend's hoodies!

      Delete

© The Pretrender | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig