28 Jan 2013

An ode to lost socks

I don't know about you, but I don't think I've worn a pair of matching socks in about four years. Which coincides with when I finally left the next and went out into the big bad world of doing your own laundry.

I don't know what happens, I really don't, but somewhere in the cycle from sock drawer (I say drawer to sound sophisticated, it's really just a box at the bottom of my wardrobe with tights and bras strewn all around it) and back, my socks get lost.

Now, my flat isn't exactly big. If there was a collection of mislaid socks I think I'd find it. So I can't comprehend  when I go to get a pair every morning, it is literally impossible to find a pair that match.

Have the washer and dryer conspired against me and are eating my footwear? Has boyfriend finally got sick of laundry duties and cut them into tiny pieces like a mad man? I do not know.  All I know is, the situation has become dire, and I've started having to wear his socks sometimes. And men's socks fall down my feet. A lot.

Not long ago I tried to fix the situation by buying a multi-pack of plain black socks. "Aha!" I thought. "If all the socks look the same, it will matter not if a pair gets parted during their adventures in the laundry bag!" Feeling smug about solving the problem, I went about my life, free as a bird, unburdened by sock-related worries.

Until a week later, when I could only find 5 of the multi-pack in my possession. What use is two and a half pair of socks? It'd do fine until Wednesday, where the mix-and-matching would have to begin again!

So again, I am flabbergasted. I have come to the conclusion that there is a black hole in the bottom of my laundry bag, and my poor socks are now floating through deep space, never to see their matching pair again.

This never used to happen when my Mum did the laundry.
SHARE:

3 comments

  1. You have such an interesting and prominent blogging style it is very inspiring! Your next piece might just be The Ode of Socks, meaning you have some lol! Good luck xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love the placement of your tattoo!!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you know what?
    As soon as you've finally got round to binning the remaining sock of one of your favourite multi-coloured pair after accepting that you're never gonna find the missing one again - the thing turns up out of nowwhere and you still remain with one sock only -.-

    Am actually reading your blog too Ami, very interesting and entertaining :)
    Keep it up!

    Sonja

    ReplyDelete

© The Pretrender | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig